Curiouser and curiouser...(campus session)


Image result for curiouser and curiouser quote
In Alice in Wonderland, Alice says the famous words, "curiouser and curiouser." Well this is definitely how I have felt during my time so far studying module one. My curiosity has helped me dive a bit deeper and encouraged me to discover areas that I hadn't yet uncovered or so I thought...

Yesterday I plucked up the courage to attend a BAPP campus session. I must say after the 2-hour conversation about our maps and practices I came out feeling rather embarrassed and as if everything I said was inadequate or wrong. No one likes being put on the spot, especially if you suffer from anxiety. I found myself in an awkward situation where I couldn't seem to get my answers out clearly and my brain stopped working as the environment we were working in was completely different to what I am used to. It is always good to step out of your comfort zone and to experience new situations, environments and people...however, I'm not sure if the campus session worked for me personally. I most definitely forgot 'how to speak good English', well at least I'm on the same page as Alice, thank you Lewis Caroll.

I did get to meet two other people on the course and it was nice to get some feedback from them and to see where they were at in their studies. Someone asked a very good question that made me think about the grey areas in my map. I believe she said, 'where are the empty spaces in your map?'...well from the conversation I had yesterday with everyone I feel now that there are more empty spaces in mine than I thought! 

For example:

Thailand - I worked abroad for six years and was asked how this has changed my practice. In my mind I didn't think it would change it much as I would have taught with the same techniques and practices that I had learnt from university. What I failed to mention yesterday (because it all got too much for my brain) was that I have learnt how to apply the constructivist method in my classroom and I wouldn't have necessarily learnt that method if I had just been a teacher in the UK. Also, communication skills come into play as there are language barriers to overcome and cultural sensitivity is important in a role at an international school. All of these things have helped shape me as a teacher. Without my experience in Thailand I wouldn't have inherited certain techniques, methods and morals. 

Adesola said that literature is linking your map to others maps and asked what literature we would use. I replied with reading up on learning journals and looking back on my own reflective journals to revisit my work in Thailand. Other books I have been reading include: Walking in this world by Julia Cameron, Out of Our Minds by Ken Robinson, Theatre and Ethics by Nicholas Ridout, Learning Journals by Jennifer Moon and Adesola gave us a book which I'm looking forward to reading called Educating the Reflective Practitioner by Donald A. Schon.

So, what will I be doing with my time until our deadline on the 16th March?
I will be filling in those gaps, making sure I have referred to lots of different types of literature, adding in my heritage, making sure my diagram is presentable and not all over the floor! And finally, believing in myself and trusting in my thoughts, ideas and principles. 

Final note: As much as libraries are fantastic, if you would like to buy some books to make notes in I use a website called:

https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb?keyword=worldofbooks&gclid=CjwKCAiA44LzBRB-EiwA-jJipKSzm_8-hBVypePaOH3H9aMMYB2fgqNM8n2iO7fGUmviiBtLpSgOnRoCVtQQAvD_BwE 

I managed to get five of the books on the reading list for only £20. They don't always come looking brand new but most of mine arrived looking untouched. 


                                                

Comments

  1. Hi Bronte,
    Thank you for your blog post and letting us know what went on at the Campus Session. I am so glad that you went and experienced it and although it may have been daunting, it sounds like you have gained some more knowledge about your practice and the course portfolio.
    Thank you for the tip in regards to the book store, I will definitely look into this!
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul,

      Thank you for your comment. I really struggled yesterday and came home feeling quite rubbish. I wish I could have answered things differently, but I suffered from a major brain block! I have lots of other things going on in my life that have been rather distracting - divorce, being a single mother and raising two little ones alone etc...I suppose what I'm trying to say is my confidence has been knocked...I now suffer from anxiety and panic attacks, so when I was questioned and put on the spot yesterday I just fell apart. Hopefully in time I will heal and these situations will become more easy...but for now I will stick to the blogging, skype chats and getting to know others (like you) on the course.

      Definitely have a look on the website. I know libraries are a great source to obtain literature, but I do love writing notes and being able to pick a book off of my own shelf as and when I need it.

      Hope all is well with you. Feel free to email me if you need support or someone to talk too... bronte.cudd91@gmail.com

      Bronte :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Bronte,

    Really enjoyed reading this! I am also feeling incredibly lost when it comes it mapping, I thought I had a grasp on it but every time I read a blog post I feel more lost!
    I also felt like a fish out of water at the Campus day (I went to a different one) and left feeling a little deflated. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

    I'd love to compared maps and literature at some point!

    Liv x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://olivia-gracethompson.blogspot.com/ .. I commented under a different account? Strange. This is me ^

      Delete
    2. Hi Olivia,

      Sorry for the late reply! Oh gosh that makes me feel a lot better as I thought I was the only one too. That sounds great! I would love to have a chat about maps and lit. Here's my email just in case: bronte.cudd91@gmail.com

      :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Bronte,
    I've used this website too and they are great! I have got loads of books for the course on there. I'm sorry you were feeling deflated after the campus session, I can imagine the anxiety of going to a new place and meeting new people was enough for your brain to cope with, let alone answering questions on something that is so new to us! I hope your feeling a bit calmer now. When you speak of the 'empty spaces' on your map, maybe try to look at them in a different light. Maybe its blank for a reason, maybe it represents the rest and quiet your body needs to recover from life and work etc. Maybe its also blank because it gives you the opportunity to explore what could be there, or what would you like to be there. What could you create, how do you want you life to look? Maybe not knowing what to fill the empty spaces with is part of the beauty of learning and developing on this life/ course/ adventure? I hope this helps
    Alys :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alys,

      Yes, you are exactly right. It is blank for a reason...lots for me to explore and uncover in the future. Hope your essay feedback went well and was helpful. :)

      Bronte :) xox

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts