Wonderful World of Web 2.0

Web 2.0

After spending some time looking over other BAPP members blogs and researching about web 2.0 I have gained a much better understanding of what it actually is. I must confess I had no idea what it was or what it meant!

So, what is the meaning of Web 2.0...well I'm not the best at explaining things, but luckily the module one handbook was the perfect place to start. In the handbook it states that 'The phrase Web 2.0 refers to a second-generation of web-based communities.' This explanation made the concept clearer in my mind and I began to research web-based communities. Now we all know and love social media such as Facebook, Twitter and who doesn't love Youtube! But of course, there's a world of communities on the internet waiting to be explored.

Being part of my local community comes quite naturally to me as I enjoy social interactions, face to face communication and getting involved. However, I have struggled to adapt to web-community life. But I am beginning to grasp the concept of blogging! The benefits of blogging are countless, and I have found that I can gain knowledge and share ideas through connecting with other BAPP students through our own web-community.

*Drum roll* here comes another mind map...




The Benefits of Web 2.0:
  • Knowledge - sharing, growing, learning
  • Easy access - as a single parent this has been a life saver as I am able to access information and my work with ease whenever I need to.
  • Community - connecting, communicating, collaborating, interactive
  • Sites - sharing, creating, learning, variety
  • Creative - we are all contributors, authors and creators
The next picture really helped me see how Web 2.0 has made huge changes, including what content is published on the internet and by who. We as the users get to share, collaborate and create our own content. The web-community is dynamic and has connected more than one billion users which means it has become more accessible to people all over the world.

Image result for explanation of what web 2.0


Connectivity

Mark Zuckerberg the co-founder of Facebook has made it his life mission to help connect people from all over the world and make the internet accessible globally. He stated, 'connectivity is a human right', and created a document explaining why. I started by reading this document and quickly realised that unfortunately in many countries the internet is expensive. Did you know Africa has the most expensive internet? Because I didn't! And did you know that Denmark is the most connected country as it provides free Wifi? wow!

Whilst I was living in Asia, I was unable to visit certain sites as they were blocked by the government. so, although the idea of the world being more connected is wonderful, is it really possible with so many obstacles and forces in the way? 

The handbook asks, 'Does everyone have equal access to connectivity through the internet?' 
To this I say a big fat no! Because only 59 percent of the global population uses the internet. This means internet is unaffordable in developing countries and therefore inaccessible. It means that in some countries YouTube is censored, google is banned and sites are blocked so the content which users are viewing is limited. Whilst we are living in the world of connectivism others cannot. 

So thank you web 2.0 for connecting more people...but we still have a long way to go! 


Bibliography

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/poverty-matters/2014/jan/03/mark-zuckerberg-connectivity-basic-human-right
https://www.strategy-business.com/article/Why-Are-4-Billion-People-without-the-Internet?gko=1ed7b

Comments

Popular Posts